[Dwarf-discuss] PROPOSAL: Constant expressions in locations lists

Nettleton, Brian brian.nettleton at windriver.com
Fri Apr 27 08:08:23 PDT 2007

This proposal looks like a good idea to me.  You use two different
names, DW_OP_implicit_value and DW_OP_constant_value.  I definitely
prefer the later (these are also sometimes called manifest constants or
static constants, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable#Constants).

Do we want DW_OP_constant_value1, DW_OP_constant_value2,
DW_OP_constant_value4, and DW_OP_constant_value8 which indicate fixed
sized constants for 1, 2, 4 and 8 bytes?  There is certainly precedent
for this in DWARF and they would be very commonly used.

-Brian Nettleton