[Dwarf-Discuss] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: DWARF: Hierarchies of abstract and concrete DIE instance trees

David Anderson davea42 at linuxmail.org
Tue Nov 28 11:37:47 PST 2017

On 11/28/2017  Todd Allen wrote:
> Well, I could bring up the whole descriptive vs. prescriptive argument to
> counter that.  But I don't want to!
>  I think this violates the intent of the standard, which was that the
> two trees
> should match.  If that wasn't the intention, there wouldn't need to be
> wording
> giving you permission to omit certain DIE's.

Well, I'm happy to be wrong on this point.

Allowing  differences between concrete and
abstract other than the specified ones opens
the door to severe concrete/abstract
matching problems. Todd is right: that cannot
have been our intent in creating the standard.

Another point that perhaps should be mentioned
in Errata for DWARF5.

DavidA

--
Fundamentally, there may be no basis for anything. -- slashdot.org