[Dwarf-discuss] C++ standard integral types and overload resolution

Daniel Jacobowitz drow
Mon Apr 18 10:31:03 GMT 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:26:16AM -0400, Ron 603-884-2088 wrote:
> I'm still not understanding the problem. Is the issue that C/C++
> say, for example, that 'int' and 'signed int' are the *same type*
> but that 'int' and 'long' are not the same type even if they
> have the identical representation (on some systems)? So the

Correct...

> problem is making it easier for the debugger to compare two type
> dies and discover whether they are the same type or not?

Sort of.  The problem I think that James is talking about is that "int
foo(int)" and "int foo(long)" are different functions.  For a debugger
to perform a call "foo(var)", it needs to know the difference between
int and long to see which one var is (or is closer to, for overload
resolution).

Doing this based on the names of base type DIEs is pretty ugly.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC