[Dwarf-discuss] Isn't DW_OP_piece a location expression operator?

Jim Blandy jimb
Tue Jun 28 13:46:36 GMT 2005

I'd like to suggest an editorial change to the spec.

DW_OP_piece is currently defined in the section on "Dwarf
expressions", not in the section on "Location Descriptions".  However,
DW_OP_piece doesn't compute a value to be left on the stack; it's only
useful in describing (a piece of) a larger value's location.

I think the definition of DW_OP_piece should be moved into the
"Location Descriptions" section, after the definitions of DW_OP_reg0
and friends.