[Dwarf-discuss] "null entry"

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop
Fri May 20 10:04:56 GMT 2005

I'm sure everyone eles knows what this phrase means,
but there's no index hit for it, and so far in my reading
it's been used in the specification without explanation.

See 2.3, and 7.3.5 for such uses.

So how should you mark the last sibling in a tree-level
as having no more sibs?

One way, with doesn't seem to be the preferred one,
is to use a different abbreviation for the last sib
which has DW_CHILDREN_no but is otherwise identical to
the one used by the other siblings.

The other, apparently preferred way, is to use a "null
entry".  Is this an entry with the same abbreviation
as the other sibs, but with all fields zero?  Is it an
entry with abbreviation code zero (and thus no body)?

	-John