[Dwarf-discuss] optimized code debugging

David Anderson davea
Tue May 24 19:25:47 GMT 2005

Chris Q writes:
>I've been thinking about how to implement
>statement markers and line markers in the
>face of sophisticated optimization, and I'm
>not sure such markers will mean anything unless you
>also tell the compiler to treat those boundaries as
>hard boundaries to most (or all) optimizations.

In her Berkeley PhD thesis, Carolyn Tice decided
that additional information was required beyond Dwarf2.
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.ucb/CSD-99-1077
(I know Chris has seen me mention this before :-)

I must admit to bias :-), she did this work partially at SGI
and I offered advice on the DWARF2 aspects.

Anyone have more recent citations on debugging optimized code they
want to share?

David A.