[Dwarf-discuss] Encoding variant records: request for clarification.

Ron Brender ron.brender
Sat Aug 19 14:59:35 GMT 2006

Paul,

Ahhh, now I understand the question. And it is a good one at that!
It appears that Section 5.6.9 in Version 3 survives unchanged from
Version 2 (where the Section number was different). I don't recall any
discussion of this particular matter during V3 development.

My take is

1) It is perfectly reasonable for the DW_TAG_variant_part in this
example to not have any member child (just the DW_TAG_variant children).

2) The DW_AT_discr attribute of the DW_TAG_variant_part entry should
refer to the earlier member entry for N as usual.

The wording in S5.6.9 does not obviously allow this, although it does
allow no member child for a tagless variant (a Pascal thing, yes?). The
text should be revised to clarify this. Further your example would be a
good addition in D.2.2.

While we are at it, the third paragraph of 5.6.9 has me puzzled as to
meaning/intent:

"If the variant part does not have a discriminant (tag field), the
variant part entry has a DW_AT_type attribute to represent the tag type."

My puzzlement being: how can a non-existent tag have/need a type? What
am I missing?

Ron