[Dwarf-discuss] null entry after DW_TAG_compile_unit?

Ron Brender ron.brender
Tue Dec 19 13:10:20 GMT 2006

Marcel,

Is it valid to have a null entry following a DW_TAG_compile_unit?
Perhaps, but I think it was certainly not the intent. I recall tweaking
the language you reference to make clear(er) that there could not be a
sibling chain of multiple DW_TAG_compile_unit DIEs, but I don't recall
discussing your particular point.

One piece of evidence comes from noting that Appendix A does not list
DW_AT_sibling among the "normal" attributes for a compile unit. This
Appendix is not controlling, of course, but it does suggest intent that
there not be a following null entry.

OTOH, one could argue I suppose that it would be an allowed extension
for a producer to waste a byte by throwing in an extra null entry. Or
even that one or more nulls might be included as padding rather than as
"real data".

If it is a touch easier for a parser to share a parse state with other
DIEs-that-allow-siblings, then it seems harmless enough. But my
inclination is that not allowing this (treating it as an error) is better.

Ron