[Dwarf-discuss] multiple entries for one line of code in .debug_line ?

Michael Eager eager
Sun Oct 8 18:23:02 GMT 2006

Jun Koi wrote:
> On 10/8/06, Jun Koi <junkoi2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> On 10/7/06, Sebastian Krawczuk <syk at ocsystems.com> wrote:
>>> Jun,
>>>
>>> All is fine.  Anything that your compiler emitted in rage 0xc01526c4
>>> and  0xc01526ea  is in reference to your 'return' statement at line
>>> 369.  Maybe the compiler broken it into atomic operations and had to
>>> produce such source line table.  I don't know.  I would not worry too
>>> much and just aggregate data from such entries and interpret is as one
>>> line entry and range 0xc01526c4-0xc01526ea.
>>>

> OK, but I think again on this matter: as I understand, each line of
> code should have a range of address, which indicate the start and end
> address of the code, right?

No.

> But as I observed, some lines of code has only one entry, which can be
> interpreted as start address. So in these cases, we dont have the end
> address of that line of code???

Please read the description of the line table again.
It's perhaps a bit complex.

The table is *not* a mapping from line to address.  The
mapping goes in the other direction, from address to line.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com