[Dwarf-discuss] PROPOSAL: add support for bundled instructions (e.g., Itanium)

Ron Brender ron.brender@charter.net
Fri Apr 27 16:04:34 GMT 2007

I definitely support the goal of this proposal. In fact, the slot to
instruction mapping computation described here is exactly what we used
for VMS on Itanium. However, we had no way to describe that this was
being done--it is assumed based on the knowing the target architecture
(given by the containing ELF context).

My only hesitation is to wonder how many other weird instruction
encoding schemes we can recollect and to ask whether the simple ratio
encoding proposed here is sufficient to cover all of them?

I think I recall a machine that had two instructions in each 36-bit
word. That would be encoded in this scheme as the pair [1,2] (or the
triple [0, 1, 2] if you prefer). So that variation is covered, which is
good. What other variations can anyone report?

I suppose the worst case might be variable sized instructions on
arbitrary bit boundaries. That too can be described in this scheme using
the pair [1, 8] (or more generally [1, <bits per word>]). So maybe that
makes this proposal completely general?

I do point out that the ratio encoding is still not a complete
description of the Itanium slot scheme, where each 128-bit (16-byte)
bundle has three 41-bit slots and one 5-bit field of other stuff. So
there is still some amount of "you gotta know the target architecture"
in any case.

That said, assuming no one comes up with an example architecture that
does not fit this proposal then I am happy to support it.

My only additional thought would be that we should explicitly reserve a
bundle size of zero to DWARF for possible future extension.