[Dwarf-discuss] PROPOSAL: Constant expressions in locations lists

Cary Coutant ccoutant@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 07:46:15 GMT 2007

> This was moved to the private mailing list and it doesn't look like
> there
> has been any traffic about it for a while.  So I don't know what
> its status is.
> I think the formulation should be adjusted a little from what was
> proposed.
>
> The block is often overkill, but I think adding a plethora of
> constant_value[248] and so forth would be a waste of opcodes and
> needless
> new repetition in decoding.  Instead, I suggest using a special suffix
> operation DW_OP_implicit_value.  It can follow DW_OP_const*,
> DW_OP_lit*, etc.

My original proposal was (almost) exactly that, but several objected
to that proposal on the basis that the DWARF expression stack is a
simple stack of address-sized objects. Without a considerable
overhaul of the DWARF expression language, it wouldn't be possible to
describe constant values for anything other than integers no larger
than a pointer. The new formulation sacrifices this ability to
rematerialize a value for the ability to represent constant values of
arbitrary type.

-cary