[Dwarf-Discuss] Dwarf-Discuss Digest, Vol 16, Issue 4

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop@intel.com
Tue Aug 26 14:57:08 GMT 2008

Re: "use namespace"

"Not surprisingly", idb does the same thing:

1.  Read the DWARF and make a structured symbol table;

2.  Look things up as the compiler would, using language rules.

I echo the others: DWARF does not need to distinguish the include
operation by language.

Re: cross-langauge in-lining.

Yikes!

And then of course the inlined code is flowed and CSE-d and moved
and out-lined.  So it can be throughly mixed in.

But won't the debugger be able to find the right scope and thus
the right language rules by looking up the current PC in the
location lists for the various routines?

I.e., the user is at instruction at address A and does "p x",
the debugger sees that A is in the location list for FORTRAN
routine F and can get the scoping right; after an instruction
step at address B the debugger sees that the B is in the location
list for C++ routine G, ditto.

         -John