[Dwarf-Discuss] how to find local variable stored in register

Robinson, Paul T NonStop paul.t.robinson@hp.com
Tue Feb 5 21:18:34 GMT 2008

Pedantic super-precision would have a serious cost in terms of the size
of the debug info.  One thing we've done is mark the "call statement" as
beginning at the start of parameter setup, not at the call instruction.
You can step into the call (at which point the callee's parameters and
variables are where the DWARF says they are) or step over the call to
the next statement (at which point the caller's parameters and variables
are where the DWARF says they are).  We do not view it as a goal to make
the DWARF 100% precise for every single instruction, because our users
don't spend a lot of time single-stepping at the instruction level.

That said, when a variable gets spilled to the stack we typically do
want to identify that point and indicate it in the DWARF.  These places
are not necessarily closely associated with calls; they can happen for
other reasons too.

A similar consideration occurs at the entrypoint of a routine; typically
you need to work your way past a few prolog instructions (allocate the
stack frame etc) before you really have defined locations for things;
and yet the DWARF will commonly tell you that a variable is in a given
location for the entire scope of the routine.  This is an entirely
reasonable compromise between accuracy and info size, mediated mainly
by usefulness.

--paulr