[Dwarf-Discuss] how to find local variable stored in register

Jim Blandy jimb@red-bean.com
Wed Feb 6 00:07:46 GMT 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 2:07 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 02:03:13PM -0800, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > GCC generates DWARF CFI for every instruction.
>
> No, it skips epilogues.  Adding details for epilogues bloated it, at
> last check, by enough that we were not willing to make that change by
> default.  I hope that changes at some point; the inaccurate CFI can
> really confuse a debugger.

Ahh.  I stepi'd through a prologue before I posted that.  Didn't think
to try an epilogue.

I dunno.  All the shared libraries present in a full build tree for
the Firefox web browser have 55MiB of .text, and 14MiB of
.debug_frame; I'm probably counting some libraries twice.  A dollar
would buy me 328 times as much frame information.  I understand that
different organizations have different demands, but as a developer, at
least, assuming fully detailed frame information didn't more than
quadruple the size of the frame info, I'd like the option of having
full frame info.