[Dwarf-Discuss] how to find local variable stored in register

Jim Blandy jimb@red-bean.com
Wed Feb 6 00:14:41 GMT 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 2:43 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org> wrote:
> I think 16.1% of executable size is huge.  .debug_frame is normally,
> what, 2-3% of executable size?

A lot of people at Mozilla didn't know that the GNU toolchain
supported C preprocessor macro debugging information; they've started
using it now.  Because DWARF doesn't allow different CUs' macro
information to share strings, .debug_macinfo ends up being 12x the
size of .text.  I told them, "It's a bit bulky; you might want to
check your build tree sizes." Nobody cares.  They love it.

Different organizations have different concerns.  I think it's a
mistake for GCC to assume that a GiB is precious; it's not so for many
real-world organizations.