[Dwarf-Discuss] how to find local variable stored in register

Jim Blandy jimb@red-bean.com
Wed Feb 6 06:30:17 GMT 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 7:40 PM, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 7:14 PM, Jim Blandy <jimb at red-bean.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 5, 2008 2:43 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false.org> wrote:
> > > I think 16.1% of executable size is huge.  .debug_frame is normally,
> > > what, 2-3% of executable size?
> >
> > Different organizations have different concerns.  I think it's a
> > mistake for GCC to assume that a GiB is precious; it's not so for many
> > real-world organizations.
>
> Even at google, which has ungodly amounts of disk space, debug info
> size is a serious concern.
> This is more because of the network cost of propagating binaries
> around than it is because they happen to take up some amount of local
> disk.
> I think it would be a huge mistake to assume because local disk is
> cheap that debug info size doesn't matter.
> If you ever end up having to propagate your binary to a datacenter
> full of machines, or build on NFS, it matters a lot.

I'll point out that I was careful not to make the argument that size
doesn't matter to anyone.  What I did argue is that:
1) when I'm working on GDB or Firefox on my own machine, I would (and
do) happily trade pretty huge factors for more accurate debugging
info, and
2) my situation is neither unusual nor universal.