[Dwarf-Discuss] PROPOSAL: Constant expressions in location lists

Roland McGrath roland@redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 07:59:26 GMT 2008

> When you say "rematerialized for debugging purposes", do you mean that
> the value is a constant known at build time, or do you mean that it
> can be computed from the current state of the program, even though the
> variable has no location allocated to it at the moment?

I believe he was referring to the general case, i.e. the latter.

> The DW_OP_constant_value suggestion would help with the former, but
> not the latter.  (What you wrote makes me think you have the latter in
> mind.)

Frank referred to my proposal in http://lists.dwarfstd.org/htdig.cgi/dwarf-discuss-dwarfstd.org/2007-May/000478.html

This handles the general case by computing values (or values of pieces)
with arbitrary DWARF expressions.  Compile-time constants are a degenerate
case where those expressions use only const*/lit* ops.

Thanks,
Roland