[Dwarf-Discuss] Lexical block address ranges when nesting

Ron Brender ron.brender@charter.net
Sat Nov 8 19:27:42 GMT 2008

The computer science concept of a lexical block is inherently inclusive
of any blocks nested within (so-called inner blocks). As a consequence,
it never occurred to this complier implementor and the debugger
implementors he has worked with over the years to exclude the inner
blocks when generating the debug info for a block.

In a non-optimized compilation, it will normally be the case the every
lexical block (including every function body) can be described by as a
single contiguous range of instructions (using DW_AT_low_PC and
_high_PC) if blocks are considered inclusive of inner blocks. If inner
blocks are excluded, then any block containing a inner block becomes
discontiguous (usually) and would require the more complicated
DW_AT_range attribute to describe.

I don't recall anywhere else in the document where the concept of block
is explicitly defined. But I also find it hard to read Section 3.4 in a
way that allows either inclusive or exclusive interpretations.

I see no advantage for DWARF as a specification to be ambivalent about
whether blocks are inclusive or exclusive. But if that were the intent,
the I would argue that DWARF really needs another attribute that
specifies which interpretation is being used by a particular version of
a particular producer on a particular architecture (this week).
Otherwise, debugger implementations become less portable and must build
in additional knowledge about "known producers". (Yes, there is some of
this already but I see no value in it in this connection.)

Ron