[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF Issue 090321.1

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop@intel.com
Fri Apr 17 14:38:01 GMT 2009

Re: <a href=ShowIssue.php?issue=090321.1>DWARF Issue 090321.1</a>

The DWARF standard doesn't say "inherit".  It says "does not need to duplicate".
These are two different concepts.  DWARF is not C++.

"Inherit" implies that all attributes of the definition are also attributes of
the use unless overriden; the other phrase permits the existence of attributes
of the definition which do not apply to the use.

In the interests of clarity we should specify those attributes which clearly
could not apply.

I propose we add this nomative text below the text in 2.13.2
(page 21 in the Dec 20, 2005 version):

    It is not the case that all the attributes of the debugging information entry
    referenced by a DW_AT_specification attribute apply to the referring debugging
    information entry.

And then add in italics as non-normative text below:

   For example, DW_AT_sibling and DW_AT_declaration clearly cannot apply.

	-John