[Dwarf-Discuss] address values in constant forms

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Sat Dec 12 00:05:08 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 03:50:52PM -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > I don't think DW_OP_addr conveys enough information to do what you
> > want.  For instance, what if a target has multiple pointer sizes?
> > Or worse, multiple pointer encodings?
>
> Theoretically you can do all this with DW_OP_piece or DW_OP_bit_piece.
> Unless you mean different pointer encodings that require different kinds of
> platform-specific address adjustments.  I don't really know what that would
> mean, but regardless, to me it is just bending over backwards to find an
> intractable case.  I don't see the existence of any given intractable case
> as a worthwhile reason to punt on large classes of tractable cases.

If you tell consumers they are supposed to modify DW_OP_addr
operations, in an unspecified and platform-specific way, I think
you're going to create a pretty big headache for e.g. Cell
and Harvard architecture systems.

Maybe you get lucky and the results are never worse than today,
but I think you're generating a lot of complexity.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery