[Dwarf-Discuss] [Query] Address Space resolution in Dwarf

John DelSignore jdelsign@totalviewtech.com
Thu Jan 22 14:45:11 GMT 2009

Just curious... What is "__user" and how is it implemented? Is it implemented as a type modifier/qualifier in the compiler? If we turn the argument declaration into English, what does it say?

I think "const char __user *filename" could be interpreted in one of two ways:

1) filename is a kernel-mode pointer to a user-mode const char.

2) filename is a user-mode pointer to a user-mode const char. But if that were true, then I'd expect the declaration to be "const char __user * __user filename".

Cheers, John D.