[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_TAG_formal_parameter question

Stoyan Shopov stoyan.shopov@gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:06:46 GMT 2009

Hello,

Lately, I have been doing some investigations of gcc dwarf debug information
generation, and today I managed to obtain the following dwarfdump output for
a gcc compiled object executable (excerpt):

<1><  122>      DW_TAG_subprogram
                DW_AT_external              yes(1)
                DW_AT_name                  func1
                DW_AT_decl_file             1
/home/shopov/src/gear-201108/engine/target_test/test_0.c
                DW_AT_decl_line             79
                DW_AT_prototyped            yes(1)
                DW_AT_type                  <74>
                DW_AT_inline                DW_INL_inlined
                DW_AT_sibling               <148>
<2><  140>      DW_TAG_lexical_block
<3><  141>      DW_TAG_formal_parameter
                DW_AT_abstract_origin       <98>

I know this list is not gcc specific, I just want to ask - is this normal -
a formal parameter to be a child of (an empty) lexical block? I guess not,
but I also could not find anything about that in the dwarf standard, and
dwarfdump -ka does not report anything wrong in this respect.

By the way, I think I found an anomaly regarding frame unwinding in
libdwarf-20090510 - OK, I understand this list is not libdwarf specific too,
I am just looking for clues of what goes where. I reported that by writing
to (as written at http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html) *libdwarf-list
-at- earthlink -dot- net - a cuuple of days ago, however I don't know if
this is indeed the correct address to write to (and I don't have any
indication so far whether my message has reached anyone at all), and will be
glad if someone directs me properly.

Thank you, guys, this list is really informative

Greetings,
Stoyan Shopov

*