[Dwarf-Discuss] question about variable locations from dwarf debugging information

Fengwei Zhang fz2135@columbia.edu
Thu Jun 18 17:48:27 GMT 2009

Dear all,

I am working on a project which needs to get the variable location
from executable application. I could use readelf and dwarfdump to
output the text debugging information, including the variable
locations. However, the debugging information is very complex. For
example, variable location will be "DW_OP_fbreg: -32". It means some
offset from stack base frame. In other words, I need to compute where
the variable is based on the debugging information.
I am wondering: Is there any other tool which help me get the memory
address of variables? Like "print variable_name" command in gdb, then
I could get 0xff73d305.

If there is no such tool,  It would be great if some could tell me
how to compute the variable locations from dwarf debugging
information, or some links I could read helping me to do that.

I do appreciate it!

Regards,
Fengwei Zhang