[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF reference to inside my own subtree?

Roland McGrath roland@redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 22:23:47 GMT 2009

Can it ever happen that a DIE has an attribute of class reference that
refers to a child of that same DIE, or a grandchild, etc?
(I guess that's called an "owned" DIE in 2.3.)

There is nothing in the definition of references that would seem to
preclude this.  Conversely, I haven't been able to imagine a way with any
language I know of that this could come up in a real DIE (but perhaps I
have not tried that hard).

So I am wondering about the "general case" of the specification, if a
generic processor for any "kosher" DIE tree (from any potential producer)
can safely assume that such an "inward-pointing" reference would never
arise in valid DWARF.

Thanks,
Roland