[Dwarf-Discuss] Does gcc optimization impacts retrieving Dwarf information?

M. Mohan Kumar mohan@in.ibm.com
Wed Nov 18 12:49:01 GMT 2009

On 05/29/2009 03:11 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> (Resent, now actually subscribed to the list from the correct address)

>> Frank, Will VTA/debuglocus have the dwarf compatibility (i.e. it does not
>> need modification to existing applications using libdwarf APIs)?
>>
>> When can we expect this features (VTA/debuglocus) integrated into mainline
>> gcc?
>
> Yes, it will output (hopefully better/more complete) dwarf information.
> I don't know the schedule details of when this will land in gcc
> mainline. But the ideas behind how to improve the tracking of debug
> locations for variables in gcc can be found in this paper from Alexandre
> Olivia: http://www.lsd.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/papers/vta/slides.pdf
> And on this GCC wiki page:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Var_Tracking_Assignments

Hi,

In one of the dwarf mail threads it is mentioned that VTA is ready for
integration into gcc, but its waiting for the acceptance from the
maintainers.

Are VTA patches part of mainline gcc now? If not, where could we get the
VTA patches?

Regards,
M. Mohan Kumar.