[Dwarf-Discuss] Chapter 5 issue 5.6.1

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Fri Sep 4 20:21:34 GMT 2009

Bishop, John E wrote:
> Consider the paragraph starting:
>
>    If a structure, unior or class entry represetns the defining declaration of ...
>    the entry has a DW_AT_specification attribute whose value is a reference to
>    the debugging information entry representing the incomplete declaration...
>
> Is it the case that "the debugging information entry representing the incomplete declaration" will always be unique?  If it's not unique, does it matter which incomplete entry is pointed to?  Do we want to suggest a preference for an incomplete entry in the current scope, etc?

I would say it does not  matter which.  The full paragraph text
on this, from draft 090815, numbered page 82 of the pdf version is:

"If a structure, union or class entry represents the defining
declaration of a structure, class or
union member of another structure class or union,
the entry has a DW_AT_specification attribute
whose value is a reference to the debugging information
entry representing the incomplete
declaration, as described above."

Maybe it's just me, but I find it difficult to parse the above sentence.
There are two different 'entries' referenced in the sentence.
After puzzling over it a bit, I guess the point is that the defining
declaration entry DW_AT_specification refers to the incomplete
entry (which is incomplete because it does not have a size and does
have DW_AT_declaration?).

Hmm.    Do I have it right or ???
DavidA.