[Dwarf-Discuss] debugging information available at runtime?

Brendan Miller catphive@catphive.net
Tue Sep 8 22:11:55 GMT 2009

Excuse me if this question is a bit basic.

Is DWARF generally loaded into memory at runtime along with the rest
of the executable code? I'm looking into providing some better
diagnostics in my code, and it would be useful to get a hold of some
information available in DWARF, especially, line to instruction
address mappings. I'm wondering if I need to load this explicitly, or
whether it is mmap'd along with the rest of the binary.

I'm on an ELF system (linux) if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Brendan