[Dwarf-Discuss] decoding of form entries

David Gross dgross@cup.hp.com
Mon Aug 2 18:42:01 GMT 2010

Michael wrote:

> Mathieu Lacage wrote:

> >> In the most common cases, the "entity" will be another DIE in the
> >> same compilation unit, which you will need to parse to find the
> >> value of attribute you are looking for.
> >
> > That is what I suspected but, I am not sure I really understand your
> > answer so, let me restate my question again.
> >
> > How do I know which attribute to look for in the new DIE ? Is it
> > expected that the new DIE will contain the same attribute I looked at
> > originally but with a non-reference form ? For the sake of discussion,
> > what about DW_AT_byte_size ?
>
> Yes, generally you would search the referenced DIE to find the same
> attribute.

I see a different pattern in D.2.2 (Ada Example): 13$ contains a
DW_AT_upper_bound whose value is a reference to a variable.  The
variable does not contain a DW_AT_upper_bound; the value of the
variable itself is the value of the DW_AT_upper_bound.  That's the
pattern that I expected to see; I wasn't aware that the standard
intends to support the delegation pattern you describe above.

David Gross