[Dwarf-Discuss] decoding of form entries

Todd Allen todd.allen@ccur.com
Mon Aug 2 21:11:49 GMT 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 04:50:45PM -0400, Michael Eager wrote:
> David Gross wrote:
> > Michael wrote:

> >> For DW_AT_upper_bound and DW_AT_lower_bound, the intent of a reference
> >> is to point to the DIE for a variable which contains the value.  But
> >> this does not appear to be stated explicitly in the description of
> >> 5.11 Subrange Type Entries.
> >>
> >> Can you add an issue so that we fix this in the next version?
> >
> > Do you mean that these two attributes are different from the rest of
> > the "applicable attributes" listed under Static and Dynamic
> > Properties?
>
> Maybe.  My interpretation of a reference for DW_AT_upper_bound
> was that it pointed to a variable with the dynamic value of
> the bound.  For DW_AT_byte_size, a reference points to a DIE
> which has an attribute with that value.
>
> Perhaps this was an incorrect impression.  The DWARF spec does say
> that the reference is to "another entity which specifies the value
> of the attribute" which I took to mean that the reference contained
> an attribute with the value, not that the variable contained that
> value.
>
> Are there compilers which generate a reference to a variable containing
> the value of DW_AT_byte_size?
>
> I think that our wording allows both interpretations, unfortunately.

Our Ada compiler uses references for several attributes where the referenced DIE
looks like an anonymous variable (or constant) with a DW_AT_location.  In
addition to DW_AT_lower_bound and DW_AT_lower_bound, we use this approach for
DW_AT_stride_size and DW_AT_bit_offset.  There may be other spec-defined
attributes, too.  And there definitely are a bunch more implementation-defined
attributes where we use this.

Anyway, attribute references to DW_TAG_variable / DW_TAG_constant DIE's which
represent the values of the attributes is our view of the norm.

I would go so far as to say that it ought to be legitimate for an attribute to
reference a DW_TAG_constant DIE which has a DW_AT_const_value attribute with the
value.

--
Todd Allen
Concurrent Computer Corporation