[Dwarf-Discuss] PROPOSAL: DW_OP_implicit_pointer

Ron Brender ron.brender@charter.net
Thu Aug 12 13:54:40 GMT 2010

Roland,

In reviewing the proposal I feel unclear regarding what problem it is
intended to solve.

If I understand correctly, the effect of this operator is equivalent to
replicating the DW_AT_location or DW_AT_const_value of the referenced
DIE followed by an DW_OP_add operation using the second parameter. Is
this a correct understanding.

If so, it appears that the primary intended benefit is a space saving by
avoiding replication of potentially large _location or _const_value
attributes.

If I have got it all wrong, please clarify.

Thanks,
Ron