[Dwarf-Discuss] Mangled Type Def info in GNU 4.x DWARF data?

Ron Louzon louzonr@yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 15:46:13 GMT 2010

We have just migrated from the GNU 3.x compiler to GNU 4.x and this has introduced problems with type defs in the DWARF data.
?
I have a static variable ?MyVariable? which is of type ?MyType_T? and that type is a type def.
?
When I look at the DWARF data, the DIE for ?MyVariable? contains the DW_AT_type attribute which points to the type information.
?
The DIE for the type information contains the DW_AT_name attribute with a value of ?$_271? but all of the type information under this DIE is correct.
I did a search on the DWARF dump and the ?MyType_T? type def does not appear anywhere in the output except for one place which is very strange.? ?MyType_T? appears as the name attribute value in a ?DW_TAG_subprogram? DIE as
?
<2><605AFA> Abbrev Number: 75? (DW_TAG_subprogram)
DW_AT_external: 1
DW_AT_name: (indirect string, offset:0x7701F ): MyType_T
DW_AT_artificial: 1
DW_AT_declaration: 1
?
<3><605B02> Abbrev Number: 19 (DW_TAG_formal_parameter)
DW_AT_type: <607792>
DW_AT_artificial: 1
?
The source code does not contain any subprograms, functions or methods which are named ?MyType_T? and yet ?MyType_T? appears in the DWARF data as a subprogram definition.? Why is the type mangled into ?$_271??? This presents a problem for me when I need to retrieve information for the type ?MyType_T?.? Has anyone encountered this problem and if so, how did you retrieve the type information.