[Dwarf-Discuss] Register kinds

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Mon Nov 1 18:22:27 GMT 2010

Relph, Richard wrote:

> I appreciate the warning. And I wish we could debug at 'machine level'. But that decision isn't really up for review.
> What areas do you think might be particularly problematic?

Offhand, I can think that there might
be problems in CIE/FDE generation, which
provides info to walk the stack.  If every
call uses a completely new set of IL registers,
then this table can become very large.

I imagine it should be possible to map between
PC addresses and IL addresses, so that the
line table makes some sense.  Non-trivial
translation between IL and machine instructions
will make this difficult.

Some space optimizations will not be useful,
but that may not be a significant concern.

If anything else occurs to me, I'll let you
know.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com