[Dwarf-Discuss] security implications of DWARF info

James Oakley James.M.H.Oakley@Dartmouth.edu
Wed Nov 24 17:29:12 GMT 2010

> in ELF object files,
> even if you strip out all the DWARF there will still be the ELF
> symbol table.  If you are looking at a DLL the ELF symbol table
> cannot avoid listing the names of all exported entrypoints; and
> typically it would have all entrypoints and static/global data names.
> That symbol table is sufficient for presenting a symbolic traceback

Only the contents of .dynsym are necessary for program execution/dynamic
linking. Pass -s (--strip-all) to ld and there will no longer be a .symtab
section. If we are dealing with an executable there will be very little of
interest in .dynsym. If we are dealing with a library then of course there
will be a lot more.