[Dwarf-Discuss] byte vs. octet

travis+ml-dwarf@subspacefield.org travis+ml-dwarf
Mon Nov 29 21:58:01 GMT 2010

Hey all,

Just curious if the use of the term "byte" in the DWARF base types is
intended to mean "smallest addressable unit on this processor" or "8
bits".  RFCs use octet to mean the latter to avoid ambiguity.

It's my understanding that older machines sometimes had <8 bits in
a byte, but I also recall a professor who kept talking about the
death of the 8-bit byte (presumably in reference to unicode).
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.