[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_TAG_base_type must have DW_AT_name?

Todd Allen todd.allen@ccur.com
Wed Oct 27 16:00:13 GMT 2010

FWIW, our Ada compiler generates a few DW_TAG_base_type entries with no
DW_AT_name.  Although it does look like we did give them DW_AT_description
attributes instead.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39:24AM -0400, Kendrick Wong wrote:
>    In section 5.1, does the specification mean that DW_TAG_base_type must
>    have a DW_AT_name or it can have a DW_AT_name?
>    The name attribute makes sense for language like C/C++, but I'm not sure
>    how it applies to language like COBOL, where the type name is implied in
>    the picture string:
>    i.e.
>    MYEDIT PIC ABBA(5)
>    this generates a variable MYEDIT, which points to a base type with
>    DW_AT_encoding(DW_ATE_edited).  The type itself really has no name.
>    FYI.. here is the wordings In section 5.1:
>    "A base type is represented by a debugging information entry with the tag
>    DW_TAG_base_type.
>    A base type entry has a DW_AT_name attribute whose value is a
>    null-terminated string containing the name of the base type as recognized
>    by the programming language of the compilation unit containing the base
>    type entry.
>    A base type entry may have a DW_AT_endianity attribute as described in
>    Section 4.1. If omitted, the encoding assumes the representation that is
>    the default for the target architecture."
>
>    Kendrick Wong

Todd Allen
Concurrent Computer Corporation