[Dwarf-Discuss] error building libdwarf

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 22:50:35 GMT 2010

On 09/29/2010 03:11 PM, Neila Radhid wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks a lot I build it succesfully, and I followed your instruction
> given to miriam
> to install libdwarf , but it seems that sudo make install or sudo sh
> install doesn't work for dwarf and I've got this:
> ~/dwarf-20100808/dwarfdump$ sudo make install
> cp dwarfdump /usr/local/bin/dwarfdump
> cp ./dwarfdump.1 /usr/local/share/man/man1/dwarfdump.1
> cp: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/share/man/man1/dwarfdump.1': No such file or directory
>
> what I can do? thank you

It's a very simple-minded install set of commands.

That message just means that /usr/local/share/man/man1/
does not exist.      Which is not really a big surprise, but is a situation
that the script does not deal with.

You could choose to ignore the problem (you don't really need to install
the man page)
or you could create the directory '/usr/local/share/man/man1/'  .

Even if you do install dwarfdump.1 it might not be visible ('man
dwarfdump' won't work)
unless you create/modify your MANPATH environment variable (try  'man
manpath' for more info).

Another annoyance with the built-in install is that
      cp ./dwarfdump.1 /usr/local/share/man/man1/dwarfdump.1
may leave dwarfdump.1 as 'not readable' and you may have to do
    sudo chmod o+r /usr/local/share/man/man1/dwarfdump.1

I'd better do something about this for a future release...
David Anderson