[Dwarf-Discuss] Testing debug information

David Anderson davea42@earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 20:06:52 GMT 2011

On 08/29/2011 11:54 AM, Relph, Richard wrote:

> Does anyone know of any way to test the accuracy of debug information
> automatically?
>
> Any comments at all on how people test debug information quality would
> be greatly appreciated.

I have a decently large set of objects (collected over rather a lot of
years)  and I run each
libdwarf change through the 'latest' and 'changed' version  of
libdwarf/dwarfdump and verify
that differences in the text output are appropriate (verify by looking
at them).   Sometimes
looking at the differences is...pretty hard.

I (when at SGI some years ago) and others (recently) have  provided examples
of problematic DWARF and  some additional correctness tests in
libdwarf/dwarfdump.

I considered keeping 'correct' text of dwarfdump output for comparison,
but the size
was...overwhelming.  So I run all tests  twice, using (to the best of my
ability) all options.
Scripted, of course.

It is all in the source and the regression tests (see
reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html and
the links to git repositories of all this).

David Anderson

--
The secret of eternal youth is arrested development.  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth