[Dwarf-Discuss] Any real products that do... [ Dwarf-Discuss Digest, Vol 53, Issue 3]

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop@intel.com
Mon Oct 24 20:44:42 GMT 2011

"Relph, Richard" asks

> Are there any existing DWARF-based tool chains (compiler and debugger) that use
> column information to do, say, highlight the fragments of a for statement as
> execution advances?

Yes, Intel's IDB could do this in the past.  It would highlight the part of a line which was where a breakpoint had hit.  The feature didn't get much use but was tested in the regression test system.
That support may have been lost due to bit-rot or the change in personel (I know other features have been lost since I was moved off IDB in early 2009).

I seem to recall that IDB's predecessor (Digital's "Ladebug") showed column information as well though it used COFF rather than DWARF and I last worked on Ladebug six years ago.

	-John