[Dwarf-Discuss] Vector base types...

Relph, Richard Richard.Relph@amd.com
Mon Oct 31 17:30:56 GMT 2011

Is there a convention for representing vector base types in a language?
Our language (OpenCL) has 2, 3, 4, 8, and 16 element vectors of each of the normal C base types and we're currently representing them in an ad hoc way. We'd like to follow whatever convention exists for doing this, but we haven't figured out what that is. Setting DW_AT_byte_size to the size of one element begs the question of how many, and setting it to the size of the type itself is ambiguous (unless you peek at the name... which we are resisting, though perhaps that "right way".) A char4, short2, and int all have 4 bytes and the same encoding.
We do have a DW_LANG value for OpenCL...

Thanks,
Richard
PS. Thanks for the many replies to the question about column number usage...