[Dwarf-Discuss] FYI, dwz-0.1 - DWARF compression tool

Jakub Jelinek jakub@redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 17:50:35 GMT 2012

Hi!

Just FYI, I've released today dwz-0.1, a first public release
of DWARF compression tool (mainly using DWARF standard appendix techniques
with DW_TAG_imported_unit/DW_TAG_partial_unit).
See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-04/msg00686.html
for more info.

More interesting from DWARF standard POV might be finding a solution
for removing redundancies between debuginfo of different shared libraries
or binaries.  I've put some quick thoughts in
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-04/msg00695.html
mail, later on I've been pointed out to
https://fedorahosted.org/elfutils/wiki/DwarfArchive
from Roland.  When using
DW_FORM_ref_alt_addr/DW_FORM_alt_sec_offset/DW_FORM_alt_strp we could do
roughly what the archive proposal does, except for sharing .debug_abbrev
tables and separate files have some advantages (e.g. to get backtrace
details from one library one could just download the corresponding debug
info file and the common debug info file instead of much bigger
debug archive), but the archive has advantages too.

	Jakub