[Dwarf-Discuss] information about "Structure" and "Union" in Dwarf 2

Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com
Fri Dec 14 16:16:51 GMT 2012

Hi Slimani --

I recommend that you join the DWARF Discussion mailing list
and post your questions there.  You can join by going here:
(Please do not post with the confidentiality trailer that was
attached to the email you sent me.)

Please post a complete test case.  When you say that you are
getting errors, list what those errors are.  It also helps to
provide a listing of the generated DWARF, produced by readelf
or dwarfdump.  I also recommend that you simplify test cases as
much as possible.  In your example, it is likely that you can
eliminate the typedef.

I assume that you have a copy of the current DWARF Standard from
http://dwarf.std.  The paper I wrote is only an overview
of DWARF; the standard goes into much more detail and depth.

Struct and union in DWARF are similar, differing mostly in the
TAG of the DIE.  There is no hierarchical relationship between
the two.  Each member of a struct or union is represented by a
DIE which is a child of the struct/union DIE.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com