[Dwarf-Discuss] constants updates, minor DWARF standard upgrade?

Mark Wielaard mjw@redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 20:41:17 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 03:56:34PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Would the committee consider a faster-track number-assignment process,
> kind of like IANA, for proposals that do not constitute material
> structural changes to DWARF, but mere non-conflicting assignment of
> magic numbers?

Yeah that sounds useful. My question assumed something like that
already existed for "non-controversial" extensions like new DW_LANG
constants. The vendor extension space can of course be used for this,
like for example is the case with DW_LANG_Mips_Assembler (0x8001) which
is adopted by other too to mean general assembly language. But the
downside to that is that we need some way to coordinate the vendor
space too. And once something is in vendor space and works it is
actually more work to then suggest it as a standard DWARF extension
because you need to add extra code paths/checks.

Cheers,

Mark