[Dwarf-Discuss] constants updates, minor DWARF standard upgrade?

Cary Coutant ccoutant@gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:09:05 GMT 2012

>> I didn't say that we gave assurances in advance that proposals would
>> be accepted, or accepted without modification. I said that on occasion
>> -- once we had discussed, accepted, and closed the issue -- we had
>> given an assurance that the assigned numbers were firm. DW_LANG_Go, as
>> I recall, was one of these cases.
>
> No assurances were made in this case, nor with any other proposal.

Well, perhaps I was exceeding my authority, or we have a different
definition of "assurances", but I recall asking in a meeting whether
the assignment for Go was firm and could be used by Ian without fear
of collision. With Ron's confirmation that the new number had been
added to the draft document, I was confident enough to give the
go-ahead.

(The real danger here is that, until the document is published, we
might accidentally hand out the same number twice, if someone happens
to be looking at an older draft. I wouldn't have made any assurance
until Ron had actually added it to the current draft.)

-cary