[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF on systems where memory is not byte addressable

Chris Quenelle chris.quenelle@oracle.com
Thu Jul 26 18:54:47 GMT 2012

I don't really work in this area anymore, but I can wave my
hands around with the best of them, so here's my two cents.

It sounds like you are asking this question:

Is it easier to teach gdb that a byte is 32-bits long, or is it
easier to teach gdb that pointers are always missing their bottom
two bits (which would always be zero anyway).
(I would suggest taking one of those two approaches consistently,
otherwise it will be very hard to figure out what's going on.)

If that's really what your question boils down to, then I would look
first to the gdb code and decide which approach is better in gdb,
and then decide what possible tweaks you might need to make
in gcc dwarf generation to support those changes.

It doesn't seem like a formal definition of "what a byte is"
is going to actually help make any specific software work.
So that might be a red herring.

--chris