[Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF on systems where memory is not byte addressable

Robinson, Paul Paul.Robinson@am.sony.com
Thu Jul 26 19:29:35 GMT 2012

From: dwarf-discuss-bounces at lists.dwarfstd.org [dwarf-discuss-bounces at lists.dwarfstd.org] on behalf of Michael Eager [eager@eagercon.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:37 AM
To: Joeri van Ruth
Cc: dwarf-discuss at lists.dwarfstd.org
Subject: Re: [Dwarf-Discuss] DWARF on systems where memory is not byte  addressable

Michael Eager wrote:
>Word-oriented platforms which have byte-addressable memory seems be a
>self-contradiction.

The PDP-10 (my first machine) was a 36-bit word-addressable machine.
It had a "byte pointer" format that could specify an arbitrary byte within a
word. So, there was a hardware-defined bit pattern to specify any given
byte in memory, and instructions that could load and store just that byte.
Nobody ever described the PDP-10 as byte-addressable, but you could
make a pedantic argument for it.

I remember hearing about a C compiler for the PDP-10 that handled
"char" as bytes addressed with byte pointers, and pointer arithmetic
understood whether it was manipulating a byte pointer or a word address.
Typical practice of that era would have been five 7-bit chars per word.
I don't remember how it handled sizeof().

Making this trip down memory lane relevant to the topic at hand:
This predates DWARF, of course, so sadly I do not have any guidance
about how to use DWARF on a word-addressable machine.
If there's an existing body of software that handles text, on this machine,
the typical way that text is managed (1 char per word? seems
wasteful; 4 chars per word?) that might guide some of your choices
about how to think about "char".

--paulr