[Dwarf-Discuss] Decoding DW_FORM_block1

Arun KS arunks.linux@gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:02:08 GMT 2012

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 15:14 +0530, Arun KS wrote:
>> Hello Guys,
>>
>> I m not able to decode form DW_FORM_block1. I am able to read till
>> attr data_member_location(marked with <<<<<<<<< below.).
>> The form is comming as DW_FORM_block1. So I went and read debug_info,
>> which gave me 0x2. So this means
>> length is 2 and i have to read two more bytes. The next two bytes in
>> .debug_info are 0x23 and 0x00.
>>
>> What this values represent(0x23 an 0x00)?
>> From where will I get  "[   0] plus_uconst 0" printed by "eu-readelf
>> -winfo a.out"
>
> So that is like eu-readelf tells you a block containing "0x23 0x00" aka
> "DW_OP_plus_uconst 0x0", which together with the address of the
> structure begin address on the dwarf stack, forms a location description
> of the member. Note that newer instead of a block of opcodes, this can
> also be expressed as a constant form by the producer, which would be
> slightly more efficient. See "5.5.6 Data Member Entries" in the DWARF4
> spec.
Thanks for the reply.
I m writting a program which decodes the DWARF sections in vmlinux.
But facing some issues.

             decl_file            2
             decl_line            1
             sibling              [    4e]
 [    31]      member
               name                 "vinayak_i"
               decl_file            2
               decl_line            2
               type                 [    4e]
               data_member_location                 [   0] plus_uconst 0

<Arun>Things were fine till this point,

 [    3f]      member
               name                 "vinayak_u"
               decl_file            2
               decl_line            3
               type                 [    55]
               data_member_location                 [   0] plus_uconst 4
 [    4e]    base_type
             byte_size            4
             encoding             signed (5)
             name                 "int"

.debug_abbrev follows:

 [    2] offset: 19, children: yes, tag: structure_type
          attr: name, form: strp, offset: 0x13
          attr: byte_size, form: data1, offset: 0x15
          attr: decl_file, form: data1, offset: 0x17
          attr: decl_line, form: data1, offset: 0x19
          attr: sibling, form: ref4, offset: 0x1b
 [    3] offset: 34, children: no, tag: member
          attr: name, form: strp, offset: 0x22
          attr: decl_file, form: data1, offset: 0x24
          attr: decl_line, form: data1, offset: 0x26
          attr: type, form: ref4, offset: 0x28
          attr: data_member_location, form: block1, offset: 0x2a

.debug_abbrev is directly going to base_type

 [    4] offset: 49, children: no, tag: base_type
          attr: byte_size, form: data1, offset: 0x31
          attr: encoding, form: data1, offset: 0x33

Thanks,
Arun