[Dwarf-Discuss] Resend Encoding large constant values

Bishop, John E john.e.bishop@intel.com
Mon Sep 17 17:39:38 GMT 2012

> Maybe DWARF needs a DW_FORM_data16.

Rather than one-plus to get data16 (soon we'd need data32, etc), I think you should use DW_FORM_block1.  If consumers make invalid assumptions, we shouldn't change DWARF to compensate for that.

I first thought of suggesting that we add words to the effect that DW_FORM_sdata and DW_FORM_udata can be used for non-integers.  But if we did that, we'd have to point out that LEB128 elides zero bytes at the high end, so it's tricky to encode IEEE floats, etc., so I decided not to.

       -John