[Dwarf-Discuss] FDEs involving predicated instructions

Christopher Mead Christopher.Mead@arm.com
Tue May 14 10:31:59 GMT 2013

Some thoughts.

> I would imagine that the below code
> snippet would be used quite often, depending upon how aggressively code
> is predicated (we have deep pipeline architectures where predication is
> heavily utilized).  I wonder if it makes sense to have a facility that
> abstracts out the code so that it can be referenced and reused at many
> locations.

Thinking about it, can anybody think why something along the lines of the following (rather threadbare
looking) straw man might not work:
- Extend the CIE header definition (6.4.1) to allow expressions to be embedded within it.
- Modify the definition of the DW_OP_call<*> operations (2.5.1.5.4) so that when encountered as part of
  a DW_CFA_<*>_expression in an FDE they refer to a DW_FORM_exprloc at on offset within the relevant CIE
  rather than the DW_AT_location of the corresponding DIE.

Or does messing around with the semantics of DW_OP_<*> operations depending upon the context in which
they are being executed overly muddy the water?

Kind regards,

Chris Mead.