[Dwarf-Discuss] Dwarf-Discuss Digest, Vol 72, Issue 3

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe@elis.ugent.be
Mon Nov 18 20:18:51 GMT 2013

On 18 Nov 2013, at 20:06, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Bishop, John E wrote:
>> ---[ sketch of DWARF for file 2 ]---
>>
>> DW_TAG_subprogram 'read_nml'
>>   DW_TAG_imported_declaration '/nml'
>>     DW_AT_import DW_FORM_ref_addr [ somehow a reference to $1 ]
>
> Well, that's probably the problem: The "somehow". If the files are generated independently, the "reference to $1" is not available. At least that's how I understand it. (My DWARF knowledge is rather weak.)

At least on ELF and PECOFF platforms it's perfectly possible: you just insert a reference to a global symbol declared in the DWARF section of another object file. Our compiler doesn't use this particular tag, but at least for e.g. DW_TAG_typedef it works fine with gdb.

Jonas