[Dwarf-Discuss] DW_TAG_enumeration with DW_AT_type and DW_AT_byte_size

Ron Brender ron.brender@gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:41:24 GMT 2014

It is my recollection that in DWARF the size attributes on enumeration
types are intended to be optional in the presence of a type attribute which
itself has a size. That is, the "may" is deliberate.

Ada in particular defines enumeration types in a way such that they have,
in effect, a definite underlying base integer type. This affects some
details of type conversion between integer and enumeration types as well as
allocation in composite types.

Subtypes of an enumeration type (representable as subrange types in DWARF)
can be given yet a different size--but I think that goes beyond the
discussion here.

In any case, my involvement and practice of Ada is decades old so I hope I
am not confusing matters. But I do suggest soliciting the advise of a
current Ada person for better insight.

Ron Brender
(former Ada Distinguished Reviewer and standards committee member)